Tax tips for aged care workers

Monday, 10th June 2019

< Return to All Blogs

If you&rsquo;re an aged care professional that spends time looking after elderly people in care facilities or in their own homes, you may be interested in the tax deductions you are eligible to claim. We know it can be easy to lose track of your financial situation when working in a job that requires so much compassion, time and dedication. So, to help you look out for any important tax deductions that you might have missed, we&rsquo;ve put together a brief guide: Who qualifies as an aged care worker? Aged care workers include aged care nurses, home care providers, disability support workers, personal care assistants, community support workers, and any other role that includes caring for elderly people. Recent legislation changes You may have heard the recent news that &lsquo;claims for net medical expenses&rsquo; will cease to be available after 1 July 2019. This means that certain Australian workers will no longer be able to claim reimbursements for medical expenses. However, this does not apply to aged care workers. What deductions can I claim? If you work outdoors and use a foundation or powder with SPF protection, this can be reclaimed. Examples of deductions include: 1. Agency costs If you find work through an agency, you can claim the associated administration costs back. It&rsquo;s essential to keep hold of all relevant invoices, receipts, and documents. 2. Laptop costs If you use a personal computer or laptop for work, you may be able to claim back part of the cost. To ensure that these costs are taken into consideration on your tax return, it may be a good idea to consult a tax agent to understand your percentage use for work and any potential depreciation or instant asset write-off claims that may be available. 3. Mobile and landline phone bills If you need a phone to stay in touch with your place of work, you can claim back at least a portion of your phone bill. Remember to keep track of your outgoing calls. 4. Car costs As a care worker, you may spend a substantial amount of time travelling to clients or transporting them to appointments and family meetings. In this way, it is important that you keep a logbook of the trips you take so you can claim them back later. The various deductions mentioned above are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the kinds of expenses you can be reimbursed for. If you need a better understanding of your tax position, get in touch with a professional tax consultant at ITP Queensland. We would be delighted to book you in for an appointment - Find an office