Tax deductions for hospitality workers

Tuesday, 14th May 2019

< Return to All Blogs

Hospitality workers are a group that can benefit hugely from tax deductions. Indeed, waitresses, baristas and bar workers certainly have their work cut out for them, and it is only natural that they will want to feel rewarded for their incredibly stressful and active roles. If you work in the hospitality industry, claiming your cash back from the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) needn&rsquo;t be a hassle. To help you work out what you may be owed, we&rsquo;ve put together a brief list of just some of the items and services you could be claiming for: 1. Equipment and tools If you&rsquo;ve purchased equipment that you have needed to use for your role such as cocktail mixers, knives or cooking utensils, then you may be able to claim money back. You can make claims of up to $300 for the cost of purchase, as well as repair costs and the cost of interest on loans needed to secure the equipment. You cannot, however, claim an outright deduction on equipment that costs over $300 or equipment that is one of multiple items that form a set purchased in a single income year. 2. Clothing You can claim tax deductions for work-related clothing such as hair nets, uniforms, aprons, or protective clothing. It is important to note, however, that you cannot claim money for conventional clothing that can be used outside of the workplace such as black work shoes or a plain shirt. 3. Travel If you need to use your car for work, you can claim back expenses for this. If you are required to travel to special conferences or trade fares, you will be able to claim for flights, train rides, bus fares, car hire, and overnight accommodation. 4. Self education expenses If you are required to take a course for the purposes of your current position, you will be able to claim back expenses such as tuition fees, course books, and travel costs. These are just a few of the considerations you&rsquo;ll need to think about before filling out a tax return. More information about the various expenses you can claim back can be found on the ATO website: Or for a comprehensive one on one consultation to discuss your potential deductions contact your local ITP office.